Thursday, March 27, 2014

National Quilting Day Exploits and a Tutorial

March is National Quilting Month and March 15 was National Quilting Day!  What did you do to celebrate National Quilting Day? A few of our consultants sent in photos sharing their National Quilt Day exploits and we thought we'd share a couple of them with YOU!

1.  Phoebe Hein of Newport, Oregon spent the day doing what she calls, "Fabric-ing".  She didn't want to waste a SECOND of National Quilting Day so she even quilted in the CAR. Don't worry...she wasn't the driver (*wink*).  Here's Phoebe putting the finishing touches on the binding of her Peek-a-Boo Spring Table Runner (order #50020-C). "Hop" on over to Phoebe's website to order your Peek-a-Boo kit today!
Phoebe Hein of Newport, OR

Peek-a-Boo Spring Table Runner


2.  Jennifer Reinhart of Newport, OR spent the day working on a beautiful quilt using the March Flavor of the Month (Black Bubble Tea) pre-cuts.  We'll share what Jennifer had to say about her project below, but feel free to bop on over to Jennifer's website to order some Black Bubble Tea. All ordering information can be found here.
Jennifer Reinhart of Newport, OR
Jennifer said:

I’ve been waiting for a collection of fabric to inspire me to make something for my home. When I got My Lazy Daisy’s Flavor of the Month for March, Black Bubble Tea, I knew immediately that this happy collection would serve as the inspiration for my project. Since My Lazy Daisy now offers pre-cuts in their Flavor of the Month collections, this project took me no time at all! I call it Springtime in the Neighborhood!

Supplies Needed:
  • 1 Black Bubble Tea Charm Pack
  • 1 Black Bubble Tea Fat Free Smoothie
  • 1 Black Bubble Tea Cake Pack (optional)
  • ¼ yard background fabric (behind houses)
  • 1 ¼ yard backing
  • 1/3 yard binding

Finished Size: 31 x 40

First, from your Fat Free Smoothie pack, choose the fabric that you would like as your inner borders. On my project it’s the large floral on black. I would recommend choosing a dark fabric as it frames the project nicely and makes it stand out. Lay this fabric aside. In the supply list I included the Cake pack. I used this so that I had more fabric options for my roofs. If you choose not to use the Cakes you can cut the roofs from your fat quarters. You just won’t have as many choices.

Arrange 25 charm squares in a 5x5 grid until you like the layout. I didn’t use my entire charm pack. I cut some charm squares from my Fat Free Smoothie pack (fat quarters). Sew each row together keeping track of the order (Photo 1). 
Photo 1
Press the seams in each row in opposite directions. If you do this then your intersections will nest nicely when you sew your rows together (Photo 2). 
Photo 2
Next, using the Home Sweet Home pattern (sold by My Lazy Daisy), I pieced three house blocks. Fabrics were used from the Fat Free Smoothie and Cake packs. In order to fit above the charm grid, I cut two middle sashings at 1 ½” and two outer sashings at 1 ¾” from my background fabric (Photo 3). 

Finally, I attached the inner & outer borders and cornerstones. The inner border you set aside at the beginning goes on next. I cut this at 1 ½” and had plenty from my one fat quarter. My outer borders were cut from my remaining fat quarters at 3 ½”. My Fat Free Smoothie (fat quarters) in the Black Bubble Tea Flavor of the Month came with a cute mushroom focus fabric! I fussy cut the images and placed them as cornerstones in my outside border. Just remember, whatever size you cut your borders is the square size you cut your cornerstones. Mine were cut at 3 ½” square.

As a consultant and Select Daisy Shopper, I was able to purchase my matching backing and binding at $3 per yard! It’s easy to join for only $29.95! The benefits are incredible! (Photo 8). 
Photo 8
Have your favorite Longarm Quilter work her magic or quilt it yourself on your domestic machine. The construction of this project lends itself nicely to straight line quilting. Stitch in the ditch and then use some geometric shapes for the rest! I recommend using the Purple Vanishing Fabric Marker by Collins. It disappears with air and water. I’ve never had a problem with it not disappearing off any fabric!

Viola! A super cute Springtime in the Neighborhood wallhanging! (Photo 4) 
Photo 4
Close up shots of how I quilted my project. (Photos 5, 6 & 7)
Photo 5
Photo 6
Photo 7
One of the reasons I love this project is because you can make the cute 5x5 grid and then attach any scene to the top. I used houses but here are some more ideas I had: 

1. Piece two houses on both ends and then applique or quilt a last name between them and give as a house warming or wedding gift.
2. Make the project using the My Lazy Daisy Strawberry Lemonade, available in April, and applique some rabbits, chicks, and flowers at the top for Easter. This flavor of the month would also be cute for a little girls room with her name embroidered or appliqued on the top.
3. Piece your favorite quilt blocks in place of the houses. This project is simple and budget friendly so pick up your favorite Flavors today and get started. I know you’ll love it so much that you’ll want to make more than one! This would be a wonderful gift for that special someone on Mother’s Day! Enjoy & Happy Quilting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment