Thursday, November 21, 2013

Quilting for Diabetes Awareness

Jennifer's "Celebration of Mothers' quilt for the auction
Did you know that November is Diabetes Awareness Month?  Diabetes is a disease that is, unfortunately, becoming more and more common.  We at My Lazy Daisy extend our support to those who battle this disease daily, whether themselves or through a friend or family member.

This disease hits very close to home, in fact right AT home for one of our Daisy Consultants, Jennifer Reinhart.  Jennifer supports the battle against diabetes  by creating a quilt each year for the Gales Creek Camp Foundation.  We asked Jennifer to share a bit about this cause, as well as the quilt she made this year (it's AMAZING!).

Jennifer said, " Every year I make a raffle quilt for the Gales Creek Camp Foundation.  GCC, as we refer to it, is a summer camp in Oregon where we live for school aged kids who have Type 1 Diabetes.  My son, Dillon, was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at the age of 25 months on February 11, 2003.  He had strep throat for a long time and it wasn’t getting better.  His tiny little body turned on itself and destroyed his pancreas.  He no longer makes insulin producing cells and now wears an insulin pump, sticks his finger up to eight times a day, and eats a balanced diet.  He’s 12 now, doing fantastic, and next summer will be his eleventh year at Gales Creek Camp.  Dillon is our miracle baby and GCC has become a very magical place for our family.
Dillon with this year's quilt
 Earlier in the year I was cleaning out my sewing room and came across a small purple organza bag.  It had a note tucked away inside.  It was from a past Christmas when Dillon gave me a crystal bracelet with his name on it.  The note was so sweet as it thanked me for being such a wonderful mom and for taking care of him and all his special needs.  I cried when I opened it on that Christmas day and I cried when I found the bag and the note earlier this year.  The inspiration for the 2013 GCC raffle quilt came from this moment.  I knew I was going to make a quilt that would celebrate mothers and rightfully named it, “Celebration of Mothers”.  It wasn’t hard to design or pick a pattern because the LOVE HEELS quilt pattern by My Lazy Daisy was perfect!  The Diabetes Awareness Ribbon is grey with a drop of blood.  The black heels focus print from Tippy Toes fabric line by My Lazy Daisy's co-owner and head designer, Dana Brooks was the perfect fabric for the border and matched my theme and colors perfectly.  I used pre-cut scallops from My Lazy Daisy's Baby Bubbles and Piggy Tails Essential Kits for accents on my ribbons and embellished them with color coordinated buttons.  The entire quilt is tied together with the darling scalloped binding made using the 1” Quick Points Scalloped Ruler.  It adds the perfect feminine touch!  When it came to quilting the quilt I knew that I wanted to put words on it that would make mothers joyful and hopeful, because dealing with type 1 diabetes and young children has its dark side.  So I choose words like, HOPE, BELIEVE, DREAM, FAITH, LIVE, LAUGH, and LOVE.  Whoever ends up with the quilt on auction night, I hope they will share it with other mothers of children living with Type 1 Diabetes and just maybe, one day it will make it full circle back to this mother."

We applaud Jennifer and her efforts to benefit the cause of those with diabetes by using her quilting talents, and thank her for sharing this story with us.  Quilting truly is so much more than a hobby, it is a way to leave a legacy!  Here are a few detail shots of Jennifer's quilt:








The fun scalloped border that Jennifer created using the 1" Quick Points Scalloped Ruler


No comments:

Post a Comment