Monday, January 7, 2013

A Weekend with Dana Brooks, Co-owner and Head Designer of My Lazy Daisy

Hello! Dana Brooks here.  I'm excited to do a blog post of my very own!

My Weekends are NEVER my down time to sit and relax while reflecting on the week.  If I am not busy doing things for My Lazy Daisy, then I am always surrounded by and and busy supporting those that  I love. My previous weekend consisted of attending basketball games of my nephews, baking goodies for my visiting grandchildren who constantly have the muchies, attending a Sunday baptism followed by family Sunday dinner...made by me of course.

I am always up for a basketball game, especially when it is to support a member of my family. Here I am in the bleachers with my niece Jazzy, my sister Diane (Co-owner of My Lazy Daisy), and two of my grandsons Bentley and Haigen.

The next day I attended the baptism of my excited grandson, Carson. Once I got home, I decided to make these scrumptious Peanut Butter Bars for my grandkids, who would be visiting.

Friends arrived for Sunday dinner and brought freshly baked bread. Mmmmm!

Beef Stroganoff accompanied by creamed corn, broccoli, carrots and turnips, and of course that yummy bread.

After the feast, we ate a special baptism dessert that I made in honor of my grandson. You can create this by using any favorite chocolate chip cookie dough recipe and pressing it in a jelly roll pan to bake. Once cooled, you crumble it up and slab a layer of vanilla ice cream between to cookie crumble layers. Drizzle with caramel and you're done. If you wish to add the spiritual pictures like I did, just take wallet sized photos and tape a tooth pick to the back of each one, then stick into dessert.

Here is the recipe for that delicious Beef Stroganoff you saw pictured above.

Beef Stroganoff
1/2 C flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1-1 1/2 lbs. sirloin cut into 1-inch cubes
6 Tbs butter separated
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1/2 lb sliced mushrooms
1/2 onion diced
2 cans beef broth
1 Tbs tomato paste
1 Tbs cornstarch
1/2 C cold water
1/2 C fresh parsley
1 pkg wide egg noodles cooked

In a large plastic zippered bag, combine flour, salt, pepper, and sirloin cubes. Toss together to coat the meat. In a large frying pan, combine 2 Tbs butter with oil. Add sirloin cubes, and brown and cook thoroughly on medium high heat. Remove from pan and set aside.

Add 2 Tbs butter, mushroom and onions to pan and, sauté on medium heat until onions are translucent.

Put meat back in pan. Add 1 1/2 cans of broth and tomato paste. Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. 

In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with cold water. Pour into meat mixture and let thicken. Add sour cream and 1/4 C parsley. Stir to combine well. 

Serve over noodles that have been tossed with remaining butter and parsley or over rice.

ENJOY!




No comments:

Post a Comment